Saturday, August 2, 2008

Our Weekend in Review!




I know it's a little strange to do a "Weekend in Review" when the weekend isn't even over yet, but we have a pretty packed day tomorrow, so I thought I would get a head start!

We spent much of this weekend cleaning out the garage (fun, fun!) Believe it or not, we still had boxes out there that we had not unpacked from last summer! When you move into a house that is half the size of the former house, I guess that happens! Hee hee!

David was going through a box marked "small pet needs" (you will see the irony of that label shortly). I (Lisa) obviously packed that particular box, since it had a detailed description of the contents :0). Anyway, he was going through the box to see what we could get rid of, when he pulled out a fish bowl full of strange shredded newspaper. Upon closer examination, he discovered 8 baby mice inside! Apparently, these were the children of the mom or dad mouse that we had caught earlier in the week. They were SO tiny - their eyes had not even opened yet!

We called the children to some outside and see them. I know - hard to believe they weren't out there already, helping us in the 134 degree NC heat! Suddenly, the box starts moving, and the OTHER parent (mom or dad - whichever one we didn't catch earlier!) jumped from the box to flee for his/her life! We tried to catch it - no luck yet! Maggie didn't understand why we couldn't keep the mice for pets, Andy (always the entrepreneur) thought we should sell them to "Pet-Smart", and Zach continued to play the handheld football game he had found during all of the ruckous! David later took the mice to an undisclosed location and we carried on with the garage.

On Friday evening, we were thrilled to spend some time with our friends, the Millender's. They are an awesome family of five who will be leaving for Dakar, Senegal as full-time missionaries in October. Check out their blog - there is a link to it below on the left! We had a great time talking and enjoyed several plays and a circus performed by the Millender/Hartman children!

The kids and I wrapped up our day today by reading a chapter of Missionary Stories with the Millers (awesome book!). Each chapter chronicles an event in the lives of individual missionaries such as Jim Elliot, David Bontrager, David Livingstone, and many others. Tonight, we read about Amy Carmichael, a missionary to India for 53 years. The account told of a seven-year-old girl who had run away from the Hindu temple, where she was a temple slave. A mob was pursuing her, intending on returning her to the temple where she would serve the gods. Amy Carmichael protected the girl, as she had many others, and bought the girl's freedom from the the temple women. As I read that, I was amazed at Amy's boldness and courage! How many times do I fail to display boldness for Christ, in much less difficult situations than the one described here! Proverbs 28:1 says, "The wicked flee when no one is pursuing, but the righteous are bold as a lion." How I pray that God would help me and my family to be as bold as lions for Him!

I hope that all of you have a wonderful day of worship with the body tomorrow! And look, with me, for opportunities to be bold for Christ as we go throughout our week!

Loving Him,
Lisa

No comments: