With Thanksgiving only three days away, it's time to start thinking about Christmas! I know, I know...Target and Walmart have been ready since the week before Halloween! I, however, refuse to decorate for Christmas until AFTER Thanksgiving. I also have another rule - no candy canes will be purchased before Thanksgiving! Strange, I know! I just feel like we sometimes view Thanksgiving as a hurdle to clear before the REAL fun begins! This year will be the first year that our family has spent Thanksgiving at home, just the five of us! Even though we will miss being with family, we are looking forward to beginning new traditions and spending the time together. We plan to serve lunch at ACTS food pantry in Henderson, NC on Thursday, then we will come home and begin our dinner preparations. We hope to make more of the day than parades (sorry, Macy's!), football and turkey coma! Thinking ahead to Christmas, we also plan to be much more intentional than in years past about making the season a true time of worship, rather than a time of "the gimme's"! There is an international movement called the Advent Conspiracy which is encouraging folks to truly focus on Christ and on serving others this holiday. Check out their website at www.adventconspiracy.org. They also have a really eye-opening video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVqqj1v-ZBU&eurl=http://www.adventconspiracy.org/
Let us know how you plan to celebrate Christ's birth this year!
No comments:
Post a Comment