I (Lisa) have recently come to the conclusion that I am quite lazy. Today, as I was scrubbing our shower for the umpteenth time, I was wishing for a cleaner that I could simply apply, walk away, come back to, and rinse clean. You see, I have purchased several "sure-fire mildew removers" since we moved into this house - this particular shower is VERY difficult to keep clean due to its design. As I was pondering the next "instant" cleaner that I would try, I began to think about how I look for a quick fix in other parts of my life, as well. For example, I am always on the lookout for the PERFECT home school curriculum...one that will cement in my children's minds the difference between subject pronouns and object pronouns, or allow them to remember all of the events of the American Revolution in exactly the right order. Also, I seem to read every book I can on Biblical parenting, hoping to find all of the answers I need to raise obedient, responsible, mannerly children. Even for Bible study - I am always looking for just the right "program" to use to help me memorize and apply Scripture to my life.
Convinced yet as to how lazy I am? Well, the Lord has been showing me lately that there is no room for laziness in His Kingdom work, and that He expects me to be diligent in all areas. "Quick fixes" are hard to come by, and usually don't last but for a season. Dr. Danny Akin, SEBTS President, preached this week on 2 Timothy 2:1-7. Here is the link, if you are interested:
http://www.sebts.edu/images/Video/Media/3305854213.mp4 (right click on this link and select "save target as" to download the sermon video)
One particular part that stood out to me was when he spoke of being a soldier in King Jesus' army. 2 Timothy 2:1-4 says: "You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. The things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, entrust these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. Suffer hardship with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No soldier in active service entangles himself in the affairs of everyday life, so that he may please the one who enlisted him as a soldier." Wow! There is no promise of an easy life as a soldier in Christ's army, but no other life do I long for but to follow Him and His commands! My job is simply to obey the commands of "the one who enlisted me"! That takes diligence and obedience - but God is ready to supply me with all that I need to follow Him!
No comments:
Post a Comment